Monday 17 September 2012

Perfect Pancakes

This recipe comes from the website: http://www.thepaleomom.com/2012/09/perfect-paleo-pancakes.html

I made these today and the day before. But the day before, I thought I would try the recipe using bananas instead of plantains......one word of advice..........DON'T. The texture is TOTALLY different with the plantain. The ones made with banana were RUNNY and flat and greasy. Here is a pic of mine using the Plantain. From this recipe I was able to make 11 pancakes (using a 1/4 measuring cup to measure out my batter) - I think they look marvelous!



these were really good  and are now my new favorite!

Here is a photo from the site where I got the recipe. They look a little prettier than mine but I wasn't fussy pouring them onto the griddle :)


Here is the recipe!


Ingredients:
  • 2 large green plantains (about 2 cups pureed) - I measured mine out :)
  • eggs ( I used 3 eggs with no noticeable change in recipe)
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 3 Tbsp extra virgin coconut oil ( i used 2 Tbsp with no noticeable change in recipe)
  • 1/8 tsp salt (a generous pinch)
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • Extra coconut oil for frying
  1. Peel plantains (I find it easier to quarter them before I peel them) and place pieces in your food processor.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients to the blender or food processor and process until it forms a smooth batter (about 1-2 minutes). I would even process longer than 2 minutes - maybe like 3-4, as the first time, i didn't process my plantains enough and the batter had chunks of plantain so the second time, i let it go a long time and it was perfect! smooth and just like real pancake batter)
  3. Heat 1 Tbsp of coconut oil in a frying pan or on a griddle over medium-high heat.  Pour batter into the frying pan until your pancake is the desired size.
  4. Let cook 4-5 minutes on the first side, until the top looks fairly dry with little bubbles in it (just like regular pancakes!).
  5. Flip!  And cook on the second side for 1½-2minutes.
  6. Repeat with remaining batter, adding a little more coconut oil to your pan as needed.
These plantain-based pancakes are not dense; instead they are so light and fluffy.  They cook quickly (about 6 minutes total, which is comparable to traditional pancakes).  They are so easy to flip that you can make them as big as your pan (I made mine 5-6” in diameter) or as small and dainty as you like.  They also happen to be nut-free (and you can sub any fat you want for the coconut oil to make them coconut free).  

Top with maple syrup, berries, sliced peaches, sliced bananas, pretty much any sliced fruit would be delicious.  Nuts or a dust of cinnamon would be good additions too!  You could throw some coconut cream on top to be extra decadent (you can take the thick fatty top part of a can of full fat coconut milk that has been sitting in a cool pantry or refrigerator overnight) ENJOY!

UPDATE: I also made these when my plantains were a little riper, not green but not yet yellow (a bit soft) and cooked them in my waffle maker. The turned out beautiful! here are the pics!!!! I prefer making waffles just for the convenience of pouring them and leaving them!!!



NOTE: I sometimes use this as a desert = simply make them fairly small (3-4 inches wide - basically 1 TBSP and a half of batter - doing this I got 20 pancakes). I then layered them, one on top of the other, with homemade fruit puree in between each one and then topped with whipped cream of choice, sprinkle of cinnamon and drizzle of maple syrup - made a beautiful desert!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete